Shared Mailbox: A mailbox that’s not primarily associated with a single user and is generally configured to allow logon access for multiple users. User Mailbox: A mailbox that’s assigned to an individual user in your Exchange organization.
Open the shared mailbox in a separate browser window
- Sign in to your account in Outlook on the web.
- On the Outlook on the web navigation bar, click your name. A list appears.
- Click Open another mailbox.
- Type the email address of the other mailbox that you want to open, and then click Open.
A shared mailbox is a type of user mailbox that doesn’t have its own username and password. As a result, users can’t log into them directly. To access a shared mailbox, users must first be granted Send As or Full Access permissions to the mailbox.
Shared mailboxes are used when multiple people need access to the same mailbox, such as a company information or support email address, reception desk, or other function that might be shared by multiple people.
A shared mailbox makes it easy for a group of people to monitor and send email from a public email alias like firstname.lastname@example.org. When a person in the group replies to a message sent to the shared mailbox, the email appears to be from the shared address, not from the individual user.
Granting Access to Shared Mailbox Folders
- Open Outlook.
- In the Navigation Pane, locate the shared mailbox and expand it using the arrow to the left of its name.
- Right-click on Inbox and select Properties….
- Select the Permissions tab.
- Select Add.
In the admin center, go to the Teams & Groups > Shared mailboxes page.
- On the Shared mailboxes page, select + Add a shared mailbox. Enter a name for the shared mailbox. …
- Select Save changes. …
- Under Next steps, select Add members to this mailbox. …
- Select the +Add members button. …
- Select Close.
A shared mailbox is a mailbox that multiple users can use to read and send e-mail messages. … This allows multiple users to monitor and reply to e-mail sent to an e-mail address, providing a constant presence for your customers.
How do I find the owner of a shared mailbox?
- Click on the result to see the members.
- Click Show more members.
- The Owners will be displayed at the top.