To fix this issue:
- Temporarily turn on hidden files and folders. …
- Navigate to the folder on the shared drive where the file is locked.
- You will now see a file with the same name that has a tilde (~) character in front of the file name.
- Check the date on the file. …
- If unsure, right click on the file.
On the Review tab, in the Changes group, click Unprotect Shared Workbook. If you are prompted, enter the password, and then click OK. On the Review tab, in the Changes group, click Share Workbook. On the Editing tab, clear the Allow changes by more than one user …
How do I unlock a locked Excel file for editing?
You can also press Ctrl+Shift+F or Ctrl+1. In the Format Cells popup, in the Protection tab, uncheck the Locked box and then click OK. This unlocks all the cells on the worksheet when you protect the worksheet.
How do you unlock a read only excel file?
Unlocking a Locked Excel File on a PC
- From Explorer, search for the Excel File in question.
- Right-click on the Excel file you want to edit.
- Select Properties.
- Go to the bottom of the General Tab.
- Uncheck the Read Only check box.
- Click OK to finalize.
Excel spreadsheets may be Read Only due to their location. If the spreadsheet is on a network folder and you do not have appropriate network permissions to make make changes in the folder, the spreadsheet is Read Only. … Spreadsheets sent as email attachments and previewed within the email program are also Read Only.
How do I allow others to edit an Excel spreadsheet?
Click Share Workbook in the Review tab. Click Editing and check the “Allow changes by more than one user” box. Click Advanced and select the track changes and update features you want to use. As other users edit and save the workbook, each person’s copy will update.
To be able to share a workbook, some privacy settings need to be disabled. Go to File > Excel Options > Trust Center, click the Trust Center Settings… button, and under the Privacy Options category, uncheck the Remove personal information from file properties on save box.
How do I remove a locked Excel file?
Remove a workbook password
- Open the workbook that you want to remove the password from.
- On the Review tab, under Protection, click Passwords.
- Select all contents in the Password to open box or the Password to modify box, and then press DELETE.
- Click Save .
How do I unlock an Excel spreadsheet without the password?
Just follow any of these steps: Open the protected spreadsheet, and switch to the ‘Review’ tab and click the ‘Unprotect Sheet’ icon in the Changes group. You can access the same above option by right-clicking the protected spreadsheet tab, then select the ‘Unprotect Sheet’ option from the context menu.