Set up file sharing on Mac
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sharing. …
- Select the File Sharing checkbox.
- To select a specific folder to share, click the Add button at the bottom of the Shared Folders list, locate the folder, select it, then click Add.
How do I access a Mac computer on my network?
Connect to a Windows computer by browsing
- In the Finder on your Mac, choose Go > Connect to Server, then click Browse.
- Find the computer’s name in the Shared section of the Finder sidebar, then click it to connect. …
- When you locate the shared computer or server, select it, then click Connect As.
Why can’t I see my Mac on my home network?
If you can’t connect Mac and Windows computers, make sure both computers are on the same network and the network connection is working. … To check your connection, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network. Your type of network connection is listed on the left. The indicator next to it should be green.
How do I make my Mac visible on Windows network?
To Enable SMB sharing on your Mac:
- Go to System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing.
- Select Options.
- Tick Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)
3 Easy Ways to Share Files Between Macs
- Hit Command+Shift+R to open AirDrop.
- Wait for the other Mac to appear, then drag and drop the file(s) to the Mac to transfer files to.
- On the receiving Mac, accept the file transfer.
How do I connect my Mac to another Mac?
On your Mac, do one of the following:
- Connect using the name: Click the Finder icon in the Dock to open a Finder window. …
- Connect using the address: In the Finder, choose Go > Connect to Server, enter the address of the Mac you want to share, then click Connect.
How to share files between a Mac and a PC
- Open System Preferences on your Mac.
- Click Sharing.
- Click the checkbox next to File Sharing.
- Click Options…
- Click on the checkbox for the user account you’d like to share with a Windows machine under Windows Files Sharing. You might be asked to enter a password.
- Click Done.
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sharing . Select the File Sharing checkbox, then click Options. … In the Windows File Sharing list, select the checkbox next to the user account that will be used to share files with Windows users, enter the password for that user, then click OK. Click Done.
To share files using the Share feature on Windows 10, use these steps:
- Open File Explorer.
- Browse to the folder location with the files.
- Select the files.
- Click on the Share tab. …
- Click the Share button. …
- Select the app, contact, or nearby sharing device. …
- Continue with the on-screen directions to share the content.
Can’t connect to another Mac on my network?
If your Mac can’t connect to another computer
- In the Finder on your Mac, choose Finder > Preferences.
- Click General, then make sure the “Connected servers” checkbox is selected.
- Click Sidebar, then make sure the “Connected servers” checkbox is selected.
Why can’t I see other computers on my network Mac?
If you can’t view or connect to another PC or Mac, or if no devices are visible in the Networks tab in Finder, it may be caused by a problem with your macOS network connection. You can double-check this by clicking the Apple menu > System Preferences > Network.
Why is Mac not connecting to Wi-Fi?
Make sure your Mac is within range of the wireless network. The Wi-Fi service may not be available in Network preferences. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network . … After the network is available, try connecting again.