- Go to C:windows and right-click –> Properties.
- Hit advance sharing.
- Click the check box Share this folder.
- Enter the name admin$ and hit Permissions.
- I would recommend removing ‘Everyone’ and adding just the users that the PsExec command will use to execute.
The c$ share is an administrative share that the cluster or SVM administrator can use to access and manage the SVM root volume. The following are characteristics of the c$ share: The path for this share is always the path to the SVM root volume and cannot be modified.
on Windows 10, 8 or 10 OS:
- Step 1: Ensure that both computers belong to the same Workgroup. …
- Step 2: Specify which user(s) can access the Admin Shares (Disk Volumes). …
- Step 3: Enable “File and print sharing” through Windows Firewall. …
- Check if you can access the admin shares from another computer.
In order to view the contents of an admin share from File Explorer, you must specify its full name. For example, \computernamec$ . This command will open the contents of the local drive C and allow you to access the file system of the system drive of the remote computer.
Click Start >Run and type regedit . Set the AutoShareWks parameter to 0 . Use this method to remove the C$ and D$ shares also.
Default Microsoft Windows hidden shares
C$ and x$ – The default drive share, by default C$ is always enabled. The x$ represents other disks or volumes that are also shared, e.g., D$, E$, etc. FAX$ – Share used by fax clients to access cover pages and other files on a file server.
To enable administrative shares : Change the value of AutoShareServer to 1.
To create a hidden share, follow these steps:
- In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
- Expand Shared Folders, right-click Shares, and then click New File Share.
How do I open C drive with admin rights?
You can also use keyboard shortcuts for this route: Windows key + X, followed by C (non-admin) or A (admin). Type cmd in the search box, then press Enter to open the highlighted Command Prompt shortcut. To open the session as an administrator, press Alt+Shift+Enter.
How do I stop C$ access in Windows 10?
First type gpedit. msc in the search box of the Start Menu and hit Enter. Now navigate to User Configuration Administrative Templates Windows Components Windows Explorer. Then on the right side under Setting, double click on Prevent access to drives from My Computer.
To access a hidden share, bring up Internet Explorer or My Computer (or just Computer in Vista), enter the UNC path (\computernamesharename$) of the share, and hit Enter. Alternatively, you can use the computer’s local IP address (such as 192.168. 1.1) instead of the computer name.
What is IPC$ Windows 10?
The IPC$ share is created by the Windows Server service. This special share exists to allow for subsequent named pipe connections to the server. The server’s named pipes are created by built-in operating system components and by any applications or services that are installed on the system.
If the share permissions are “Read”, NTFS permissions are “Full control”, when a user accesses the file on the share, they will be given “Read” permission. If the share permissions are “Full Control”, NTFS permissions are “Read”, when a user accesses the file on the share, they will still be given a “Read” permission.