Use the New Exchange admin center to convert a mailbox
- Go to the Exchange admin center.
- Select Recipients > Mailboxes.
- Select the user mailbox. In the Mailbox tab, under More Actions, select Convert to shared mailbox.
- If the mailbox is smaller than 50 GB, you can remove the license from the user, and stop paying for it.
Use the EAC to create a shared mailbox
- Go to Recipients > Shared > Add .
- Fill-in the required fields: Display name. Email address.
- To grant Full Access or Send As permissions, click Add. , and then select the users you want to grant permissions to. …
- Click Save to save your changes and create the shared mailbox.
Table of contents
- Before you start.
- Prepare the user mailbox CSV file.
- Check the content in CSV file.
- Bulk convert user mailbox to shared mailbox with CSV file. Verify the result.
- Prepare the user mailbox text file.
- Check the content in text file.
- Bulk convert user mailbox to shared mailbox with text file. Verify the result.
Convert user mailbox to shared mailbox
- Identify Exchange Online mailbox. Run Exchange Management Shell as administrator. …
- Run Set-RemoteMailbox cmdlet. Run the Set-RemoteMailbox cmdlet and specify the user mailbox. …
- Force sync Azure AD. …
- Verify converted mailbox type. …
- Remove Exchange Online license.
A shared mailbox is just that, a mailbox that can be shared with one or more users. Shared mailboxes do not require a license and have all of the features of a normal mailbox; they have an inbox, a calendar, a contact list etc. Shared mailboxes appear as separate mailboxes in Outlook and Outlook on the web.
Open the shared mailbox in a separate browser window
- Sign in to your account in Outlook on the web.
- On the Outlook on the web navigation bar, click your name. A list appears.
- Click Open another mailbox.
- Type the email address of the other mailbox that you want to open, and then click Open.
A shared mailbox in office 365 is: Free and do not require a license, but every user that accesses the Shared Mailbox must be assigned an Office 365 license. Cannot be accessed by users with Exchange Online Kiosk license. … A Shared mailbox doesn’t have a username and password and users cannot log into it directly.
Open the “team” mailbox, click the “Calendar” at bottom-left, click the tab”share canlendar”, then share then calendar with all the teammates.
Go to recipients > shared. Now, open the properties of the shared mailbox by double-clicking it and assign permission to users. After assigning permission click save. In this way you can convert a user mailbox to shared mailbox.
STEPS TO CONVERT REGULAR MAILBOX TO SHARED MAILBOX
- Log in to your Microsoft 365 account. …
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, choose the Active users option.
- Choose the user mailbox which you want to convert to the shared mailbox. …
- Then, click Convert to shared mailbox to convert your regular mailbox to a shared one.